As a precursor to viewing this study history, please read my Philosophy of the Syllabus Post [here]
- CLASS: KIN 940
- SEMESTER: Spring 2011
- CLASS TITLE: Applied Sports Psychology: Research to Practice Practicum
- TIME & LOCATION: Mondays 4:10pm – 7pm, MSU IM Circle Building Room 317
- INSTRUCTOR: Daniel Gould, PhD, University of Illinois
- EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
- PHONE: (517) 432-0175
- Etzel, E. F. (2009). Counseling and Psychological Services for College Student-Athletes. Fitness Information Technology.
Kornspan, A. S. (2009). Fundamentals of sport and exercise psychology. Human Kinetics.
Nelson, M. B., & Recreation, A. A. for P. A. and. (2008). Making Money on the Sidelines: A Game Plan for Getting Started. Amer Alliance for Health Physical.
- Butryn, T.M. (200). Critically examining white racial identity and privilege in sport psychology consulting. Sport Psychologist, 16. 316-336.
- Curry, L. A., & Maniar, S. D. (2004). Academic course for enhancing student athlete performance in sport. Sport Psychologist, 18, 297-316.
- Fifer, A., Henschen, K., & Ravizza, K. What works when working with athletes. Sport Psychologist, 22, 256-377.
Gould, D., & Maynard, I. (2009). Psychological preparation for the Olympic Games. Journal of Sports Sciences, 27(13), 1393. doi:10.1080/02640410903081845
Lubker, J., Visek, A., Geer, J., & Watson, J. (2008). Characteristics of an Effective Sport Psychology Consultant: Perspectives from Athletes and Consultants. Journal of Sport Behavior, 31(2), 147.
- Moore, W. E., & Stevenson, J. R. (1994). Training for trust in sport skills. Sport Psychologist, 8, 1-12.
- Ravizza, K. (1986). Gaining entry with athlete personal for season long consulting. Sport Psychologist, 2, 243-253.
- Ravizza, K. (1990). Sport-psych consultation issues in professional baseball. Sport Psychologist, 4, 330-340.
- Ravizza, L., & Osborne, T. (1991). Nebraska’s 3 R’s: One play at a time performance routine for collegiate football. Sport Psychologist, 5, 256-265.
- Visek, A. J., Harris, B. S., & Bloom, L. C. (2009). Doing sport psychology: A youth sport consulting model for practitioners. Sport Psychologist, 23, 271-291.
- Watson, N. J. & Nesti, M. (2005). The Role of Spirituality in Sport Psychology Consulting: An Analysis and Integrative Review of Literature. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 17(3), 228-239. doi:10.1080/10413200591010102
- Team group presentation role play (15-20 mins)
- Coaching clinic presentation role play (30 mins)
- Media interview role play (10 mins)
- Videotaped individual student-athletes consultant (30-45 mins)
- Consulting guidelines
- Sport psychological skill consulting notebook
- Mental skills newsletter and/or website